Measuring metals with any Infrared device is always a challenge. The first thing to do is coat, paint or condition that surface so that it becomes less reflective and has a higher emissivity. If that can't be done, a series of adjustable model IR thermocouples with Low Emissivity filters are available. The LoE filter blocks out reflective energy that contributes to errors when measuring metal surfaces.
For applications in molten metals, steel processing, machining of metal parts, heat treating, blast furnaces, preheating, galvanizing, tinning, reheating, coke ovens, induction heating, and rolling mills, the adjustable LoE models are suitable. For temperatures >500F/260C the self powered, adjustable LoE sensors can be calibrated for t/c output. Otherwise mv signal output tables are available and two color pyrometry can be utilized.
Products Best Suited for the Metals Industry
Related Engineering TechNotes for the Metals Industry
Exergen has the solutions for monitoring plastics, the Technotes below define several case studies in which the plastic is affected by temperature, and IR temperature sensors are the fasted, most reliable, and accurate way to do so:
- Measuring High Temperatures with Immersion Thermowells
- Two-Color Pyrometry with IRt/c’s
- Improving Machining Tolerance
- How the Lo E Filter Reduces Errors Due to Emissivity Variations
- Set-up and Calibration Instructions for Adjustable Models
- How the Adjustable IRt/c Models Work
- Adjustable Models Compensate for Reflective Errors
- Painting Metal Surfaces to Increase Emissivity
- Emissivity Table
- Calibrating for Wide Linear Range with Adjustable Models to Standard Thermocouple Inputs
- Increasing Temperature Range, Improving Adjustment Sensitivity, and Reducing the Minimum SpotSize with the Aperture Kit
- Precalibrated Hi E and Lo E Models for OEM Applications
- IRt/c's – Use With Heated Metal Rollers/Web Processes To Increase Production (OEM & Retrofit)
Contact Exergen Sales for inquires and orders.